Rebecca Wolf

This blog is a chronicle of my daughters' growth - born July 2003 and May 2007. Be sure to check out the Thriving Babies homepage, for videos and instructions on how to use every type of baby carrier. For literacy and homeschooling tips, visit my Rochester-based Learning Center blog at www.SibleyCenter.com.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Unsung Heroes

Okay, I was planning to write about something more erudite today, but that will have to wait.

Arianna and I were on the way to our first music lesson at a friend's house. We made snacks and were running on schedule, for once. We were very excited.

So, after picking some apples to add to our cheese and cracker tray, we set off. About 4 miles down the road, I stopped at an intersection. I stepped on the gas, but the car didn't accelerate. Something was wrong. I coasted to the side of the road and turned the car off for a minute. I started it again, but it died as soon as I pressed the gas pedal down and the check engine and oil light came on. The oil had been checked fairly recently, but I didn't want to chance anything. I decided to call the tow truck.

I reached inside my purse, and my cell phone wasn't there! Okay, I needed to find someone who would let me borrow a phone book and a phone. I got out, put Arianna in my trusty "car" sling (yes, I have one just for the car and one for the diaper bag, and one for the stroller. . . just in case), and started for the nearest house.

No one was home. I knocked on 5 doors before I found someone home. I called our mechanic, who luckily has a tow truck. They could come and get the car, but it would be awhile.

We went back to wait in the car. I didn't have the phone numbers for ANY of my neighbors and I couldn't call Andrew away from the hospital for THIS. I was hoping to bum a ride from the mechanic before he towed my car to the garage. An hour later, he still hadn't arrived.

The man who let me use his phone came down to check on us and offer us a drink. I told him I was going to start walking home because I didn't know how long the tow truck would be and we didn't live that far away (I don't think I could have pulled it off without a baby sling, though. Baby carriers are an absolute godsend for parents.) He immediately offered to drive us home.

There was a moment where I thought, "I don't know this person. Should I accept a ride from him?" Then I realized we were in his house for ten minutes with his teenage daughter and if he was some kind of psycho, he could have made his move a long time ago. He was a working class kind of guy who was in between jobs and seemed genuinely happy to help someone. No sophisticated Hannibal Lechter here.

We chatted about his truck and the price of gas and then we were home. He refused when I offered him gas money. I was so glad to be home.

I am very thankful that there are still people in the world who are willing to help others without receiving anything in return. Look at how people are reaching out to help the Katrina victims with food, water, diapers, baby carriers, habitat for humanity funds and money.

We can all be unsung heroes by offering our support to others in need. After all, you never know when you might need a hand someday. . . .

http://www.redcross.org or click here for a listing of ESTABLISHED organizations that are helping Gulf coast folks: http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes

Rebecca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home