Rebecca Wolf

This blog is a chronicle of my daughters' growth - born July 2003 and May 2007. Be sure to check out the Thriving Babies homepage, for videos and instructions on how to use every type of baby carrier. For literacy and homeschooling tips, visit my Rochester-based Learning Center blog at www.SibleyCenter.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Sniffing Salt Water

Our house was very dry this winter (wood stove), so every night before I went to bed, I'd mix up a saline solution in a wide mouthed cup and give it a good snort in each nostril until it came down to my throat. I had to use filtered water because the chlorine in the tap water irritated me, but other than than, nothing fancy was needed. And you can hide in your bathroom and mix up your magic potion in secret.

You can also buy saline mist sprays (Ayr or Ocean or the generic brands), if you prefer, but most are in icky plastic bottles (can we EVER escape from plastic?). Sometimes I'd chase the saline spray with a nasal gel at bedtime, to last me through the night.

The link above from the mayo clinic, using a bulb syringe, is also very helpful. I've heard that keeping the nasal membranes moist during cold season helps your nose protect itself from all those nasty germs out there. After trying it this winter and only succumbing to 2 colds in the past 7 months, I am a believer!

I'm so tickled to know it has a real name. Nasal lavage sounds so much more refined than snorting salt water!

Happy Snorting,
Rebecca Wolf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home