Rebecca Wolf

This blog is a chronicle of my daughters' growth - born July 2003 and May 2007. Be sure to check out the Thriving Babies homepage, for videos and instructions on how to use every type of baby carrier. For literacy and homeschooling tips, visit my Rochester-based Learning Center blog at www.SibleyCenter.com.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Online Montessori Classes

This is my fifth week taking online classes for Montessori teacher training at http://www.usamontessori.org/ I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learned already. I've always wanted to read Maria Montessori's work and now I'm doing it with the support of great teachers and classmates.

And for $15 a month, it's a no-brainer because you can complete classes at your own pace, without having to give up a year of your life and a few grand to get AMI trained. Don't get me wrong, I'd totally love that, but it's just not feasible for me right now with two little ones, running my own part-time preschool, and living on one income. So this program has been a real godsend to me and to other Montessorians around the globe.

Maybe I'll see you in class some time?
Rebecca

5 Comments:

Blogger Rainbow and Rings said...

I've been googling for reviews on this curriculum and stumbled upon your blog post. I'd love to hear more about how you like it so far, since I'm considering enrolling.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 at 12:54:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As with any online class, you have to be a motivated self-starter type to finish class. Lori is extremely helpful and you're welcome to take your time completing one class or surging ahead with 3 at a time. I was a bit disappointed that there weren't more people posting their homework, but we have just received a nice influx of serious students. This makes it feel more like a real learning community because you are expected to respond to each other's posts. And I think your first class is free, so what do you have to lose? Because it's online, you get what you put into it. It's great for a workaholic like me!

Sunday, June 13, 2010 at 7:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Rainbow and Rings said...

Thanks for your opinion! You may see me in class!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 1:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Miranda's Shark said...

I've been googling the best appropriate elementary Montessori training courses that are very affordable, and USAMontessori.org is by far the most affordable. Of course I'm wondering how credible it is in the Montessori world, and am not able to find many reviews - if any besides yours! - on them. I've received onsite training for pre-primary Montessori a few years ago but am now in no position with a toddler daughter and work to do this. Would you recommend this to anyone, or just to a certain select-type of person?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 3:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Chris Wilson said...

If you are seeking employment in a Montessori school, you definitely need to ask them what certification they prefer. Some folks are pretty reluctant to believe an online class is at the same level as the AMI or other accredited Montessori schools. But if you are doing it for your own enrichment and have the time and willingness to put into studying, USAMontessori is a good place to start to see if you like the philosophy and want to use it or even get a different certification some day. It certainly doesn't cost much to try it!

Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 7:27:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home