Rebecca Wolf

This blog is a chronicle of my daughters' growth - born July 2003 and May 2007. Be sure to check out the Thriving Babies homepage, for videos and instructions on how to use every type of baby carrier. For literacy and homeschooling tips, visit my Rochester-based Learning Center blog at www.SibleyCenter.com.

Friday, July 01, 2005

The Week in Retrospective

I have a lot to catch up on, so here's a quick summary:

We celebrated Andrew's birthday last weekend.

Monday, we went to see Stosh's Kid's Karaoke in Parma
and Arianna was thrilled that she got a star stamp. We also had
her portrait taken for her 2nd birthday, so expect to see the pics of that soon.

Tuesday and Wednesday were work days with swim breaks.

Thursday night, the entire infrastructure of my bedroom closet collapsed. All my clothes are in a heap on the closet floor and I don't even want to know how much it will cost to get it fixed.

Friday, Andrew got another real estate deal, my sewing machine broke in the middle of a project and Arianna jammed two CDs into our computer. I tried to fix the sewing machine, but the bobbin doesn't spin properly and broke two of my sewing needles. Drat.

I did find an iMac help guide online which clued me into the manual eject button to the right of the disc slot. I stuck a paperclip in the hole, as directed, after I shut the machine down and nothing happened. Apparently this protocol only works when there is one disc jammed inside the machine. My Google search revealed that toddlers are notorious for seeing how many discs can actually be shoved into that skinny slot, but no one had any helpful advice.

So, here's what I did. I took a large paper clip and straightened it out. I made a small hook on one end with a pair of pliers and a large hook that went in the opposite direction for me to hold. I measured how far I needed to insert the paperclip before I would hit the hole in the center of the CD. I put the paperclip in the slot and turned it when I thought I reached the center of the CD and tried to hook it and gently pull it out. It took a few minutes, but I managed to get both CDs out that way. The CDs were scratched, but the player seems to be working just fine. I need to test out my CD burner to make sure that's okay, but I was relieved that we wouldn't have to PAY to take it to the shop. Money is too precious these days.

Lesson learned: Don't leave more than one CD near the computer and/or tape up the CD slot when not in use. Or better yet, just tape your toddler's hands behind her back so she can't break anything else!! Ha ha, just kidding.

Rebecca

P.S. When I told my mom about Arianna's mishap, she had the nerve to say, "Oh, the little cutie." She redeemed herself by telling me I could use her sewing machine until she needed it again and that she'd pay to have mine fixed. What a mom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home