Rebecca Wolf

This blog is a chronicle of my daughters' growth - born July 2003 and May 2007. Be sure to check out the Thriving Babies homepage, for videos and instructions on how to use every type of baby carrier. For literacy and homeschooling tips, visit my Rochester-based Learning Center blog at www.SibleyCenter.com.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Reader's question

Hi my name is jessica I am from belleville ontario canada I have a 10 month old little girl who is just to cute for words... I was wondering when your little girl started saying actuall words and putting them into proper sentences or sort of any way.....?

Hi Jessica! My grandparents actually grew up in Deseronto, Ontario so I have been to Belleville a few times in my youth. Welcome and congratulations on the newest addition to your family!

My daughter said her first word at about 13 months. After nursing, she stared deeply into my face and said, "Eyes." I was overjoyed! We started using baby signs with her at about six months and she used her first baby sign at about 10 months (waving to a neighbor). The use of baby signs actually stimulates the growth of the language portion of the brain, so I believe that the baby signs helped her speak at such an early age.

You can go to http://www.babysigns.com for more information and to purchase the books. The Garlic Press also has some baby sign board books that are actually based on American Sign Language, rather than random movements that have meaning for each specific child.

That being said, it has taken her a lot longer to put words into grammatically correct sentences. I have HEARD that most children aren't developmentally ready to use proper sentence structure until age 3. That seems late to me, but Arianna is a little ahead of the game. Babies speak their first word anywhere from 12 months to 2 1/2 years of age so there is obviously a HUGE spread in the "normal" range of language development. She started putting several words together around 18 months.

Thanks for the great question!
Rebecca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home