Rebecca Wolf

This blog is a chronicle of my daughters' growth - born July 2003 and May 2007. Be sure to check out the Thriving Babies homepage, for videos and instructions on how to use every type of baby carrier. For literacy and homeschooling tips, visit my Rochester-based Learning Center blog at www.SibleyCenter.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Common Ground?

This is a very interesting article on swaddling and how both extremes of the parenting spectrum embrace this age-old technique as an excellent baby soother. There is a bit of controversy about how long one should practice this (4 weeks or 10 months?) and of course, the SIDS-minded folks are very cautious about overheating babies or obstructing the mouth.

Harvey Karp seemed to be the baby expert most quoted in the article. I've heard of his book, The Happiest Baby on the Block, but have never read it. I was glad to hear that he is a strong supporter of baby carriers and breastfeeding, and is popular with Hollywood celebrities. Perhaps that's why we are seeing so many of the stars sporting baby slings and carriers. Check out http://www.mammasmilk.com/pages/celebrities.php for a who's who in babywearing.

My (Native American) grandmother was superb with infants. She just had a knack for calming them and making them feel secure and content. Rumor has it that she worked her magic on me so well, that I would sleep all day while she watched me and I would be up all night for my parents! My mom would often bring me over to my grandmother's in the middle of the night so she could rest up for her job the next morning (she was a beautician).

I watched my grandmother with a friend's baby when I was a teen. She swaddled the baby tightly in a light blanket and held her on her shoulder. When the baby fell asleep, she rested the snoozing bundle on her lap, giving her an occasional bounce or jiggle with her knees. Everyone seemed amazed that she could do this so quickly and with any baby she met.

Perhaps swaddling was one of her secrets? I remember her teaching me how to swaddle my baby dolls. Who knew that she was sharing ancient wisdom with me at the time!

Rebecca

P.S. Mamma's milk also has an excellent sling directory. It's one of the most comprehensive lists of carriers I've seen, including world-famous brands to new WAHMs (work at home moms). http://www.mammasmilk.com/pages/slingdirectory.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home